A NEW YEAR = AN IMPROVED YOU
When a new year comes, you hear about new resolutions, new plans and new goals for the new year. The year does not bring new things with it as many people will think; what determines how the year turns out is what you do differently to achieve the goals you have set. Without much digressions, I’ll go straight to the point – I have listed 5 keys that will help you bring your new year resolutions to reality.
1. Invest in yourself (increase your capacity) – remember the bible story of the woman of Zarephath who gave Elijah her last morsel. In return, God blessed her and the Elijah asked her to gather vessels and even to borrow from neighbours. What happened? The oil kept multiplying until they ran out of vessels to fill and the oil stopped flowing. Did you catch the message here? Ok – you want to change jobs and move to a bigger role in 2016 but you don’t want to pay for a professional course that will boost your CV and all you have on your CV is your B.Sc.; You cannot increase more than the capacity you currently have; so to get to your desired goal this year, you MUST invest in yourself. This year, make a decision to harness your skills, grow your network (there are people u need to meet in 2016 who can help you get to where you are going), read a book, take a course (there are also online courses), apply for your masters, go for a seminar, take that trip, learn a skill, grow your passion etc. Find out what it is you need to do and JUST DO IT.
2. Proper Time Management – ever heard of the song ‘Time na Money oh-oh’….. as a child I often wondered how time equals money but when I grew older it became a reality. A wasted time can never be regained and the more value to put to your timing, you’ll find out that you can achieve more if you manage your time properly. So how can this be achieved?
- – Create a to-do list: write down things you want to do in order of importance and urgency; the perfect help for this is Stephen Covey’s time management quadrant
- – Set alarms/reminders – smart phones are not just for selfies, social media and plenty talk. Download apps that can help to manage your time properly – you can set up to 3 reminders for one task; make sure you use a reminder tone that is very disturbing so that it makes you uncomfortable until you do the task.
- – Break up with your addictions/distractions – there are some addictions that keep you very occupied that you can easily spend 5hours without noticing how much time has passed. These activities suck up your time and distract you from actually doing tangible work that will contribute to your daily plan. Of course all work and no play makes you a dull person but no work and more play makes you a broke person. Which would you rather choose?
- – Plan the day ahead of time – this is sooooo important – a rushed morning may cause a rushed day with many unrealised goals and little achievements for the day. Sometimes I iron my clothes from Monday – Friday; prepare my meals for lunch the night before & freeze it so it’s still fresh by lunch the next day; plan where & where to go; what to do at work etc.
- 3. Finance management– ‘‘it’s all about the money-money-money’’. The goal settings, time management and investing in yourself is all about having a better life both financially and otherwise; but we all know that ówó ni kókó (money is the main thing) because it kinda-sorta gets things done when you need it. So you want more money in 2016 right??? I can hear see you rolling your eyes and saying ‘‘before nkò’’; but you also know that God cannot trust you with N1,000,000.00 when you cannot handle 250,000.00. How do we get it right with finances this year.
- – Cut down on impulsive spending – do you really need to squander all that money on drinks for just one night in a club? Is it really wise to buy those Jimmy Choos just because Jennifer has one and you want to show off yours at the next event in Eko Hotel? Think about it & spend wisely.
- – Save-Save-Save – the importance of saving cannot be over emphasized, if you are having difficulties with saving, open a savings account and DO NOT request for ATM, cheque book or internet banking; the only transaction on the account should be CREDIT. Remember, emergencies don’t send invitation cards with specific dates and have no reminders – they just happen, so be prepared financially.
- – Investments – this is using what you have to get what you need – money is used to make more money. There are fixed deposits, money markets, treasury bills, business investments etc.
- – Create an excel sheet to manage your earnings and expenditures – this will help you understand where and how your money goes.
4. Discipline & Diligence: All these plenty grammar above will be meaningless if you do not have the diligence to follow through. When goals are set, it is very easy for you to drift away or get distracted by other things. This year, decide to keep yourself focused – if you have challenges with being diligent in following through, I suggest you get an accountability partner. This is someone who helps to keep you in check and also pushes you when it seems like you have lost focus. This person should be someone who genuinely cares about you and wants the best for you, someone who you can listen to and take advice from. Don’t be ashamed to ask someone to be your accountability partner – we all need somebody to lean on.
5. Consistency– Be consistent with No 1- 4.
HAVE A FANTASTIC 2016…..