LynnVilleInspiring Positive Impact
I wish more than anything to pop champagne with you and dance all day long in celebration, but I thought of a fulfilling way to make this day more remarkable. I have a voice today because I was privileged to have a sound education, thanks to my loving parents; but unfortunately many children don’t have access to this luxury I enjoyed as a child.
With education being allotted the least budget in the 2017 National budget, coupled with the poor state of the educational system in Nigeria; I have come to understand that relying on the government alone will not help the Nigerian child. Just like Whitney Houston, I believe the children are the future; we cry for change but this change has to start from you and I. WILL YOU JOIN ME IN THIS BIRTHDAY PARTY???
According to UNICEF, it is estimated that over 4.7 million children of primary school age are still not in school, with the number almost doubling for children of secondary school age who are not able to attend secondary school. I believe in Nigeria, and believe in a better tomorrow for children, yet such a high number of children do not have access to basic education. This is why I joined Volunteer Nigeria since 2014 to bring about change in our country. The ”Parent A Child Campaign” was launched in 2015 and we have parented over 50 children,sent them back to school and mentored them.
Parent a child campaign is aimed at bridging the gap between school children with financial difficulties and youths/adults with the capacity to provide support financially and morally.
How do we do this?
- We have a database of potential parents
- We have a database of school children in need. Mostly those already enrolled in schools, but with the inability to continue due to difficulties in paying school fees
- We link a parent to a child. Depending on the capacity of the parent, we could link two or more parents to a child.
- Parents take up responsibilities such as: paying school fees, attending parents- teachers meetings, and morally supporting the children.
- All parents must have direct interaction with their kids, regardless of the location. This could be done via the Internet or physically.
How do we access kids with education barriers?
We presently have a database of children, with school fees ranging from Ten thousand Naira (N10,000) per term to Fifty thousand naira (N50,000). However, we plan to increase that database by:
- Visiting public and private schools, and requesting information of students that have not resumed due to school fees challenges
- Contacting orphanages
- Approaching children hawking on the streets
Please note, that “parents” will pay school fees directly to the school’s account except in extreme cases, where parents are not available; only in such cases will volunteer Nigeria accept to make payment on behalf of the parent.
The school term for 2017 has already began and we still have many children who are awaiting support from you and I. If you will like to join me in this cause, please click the button below to fill the form and email the completed form to email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org